Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I'm the newie~watch out!

My name is Lanna, and I am now part of the Christmas Watch.

Thou I am not all for the holiday, I do see an awful amount of Christmas things the are taking our beloved Christ out of our well known Christmas.
Things like Santa and elves, and getting gifts and displaying selfishness.


Some try to avoid these self-pleasing ideas, but it's hard to escape them.

When I was a little girl, maybe fiveish, I remember getting home after sharing our holiday with my grandparents, aunts, and uncles. I had large garbage bags full of stuff, that my father was struggling to carry. But I remember saying "How come I didn't get very much? Everyone got more then me!"
My parents were up-set.

People give gifts, expecting gifts in return. Maybe bigger, maybe better, maybe many gifts.
People have it set deep in there minds at all times, what will I get for Christmas?
People think that you can let Christmas be of just giving to each other, and not giving of Christ.

Most people say that the time of the year is perfect for giving, is not the rest?

I'm not saying that I think that giving on this holiday is bad, I'm saying that if you can give all the presents you buy without getting something back, then you are celebrating the true Christmas.

Give to God's people, not to yourself. That's how I see that.

Lanna

7 comments:

Austin said...

I don't worry much about presents. It kind of annoys my mom though, because she has trouble deciding what to get because I don't ask for anything. She's good at deciding though.

Christmas is fun for so many other reasons besides presents. On Dec. 1, I'm going to go Christmas caroling in American Sign Language. That's going to be fun. If any Deaf people see me, they'll laugh at me though. I'm new to this.

Kingdom Advancer said...

I agree with you and Austin. One thing I think Christians need to be very careful about is making a "Christmas list." The idea makes me uncomfortable now, although when I was younger I used to love doing it.
Then, again, if people want to get you something (out of love), I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few wants, needs, or desires...not that you're discontent, mind you. Just, you know what I mean.

Austin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Austin said...

I never made a list. I was told that you ask Santa for one thing only, not a bunch of things. Everything else comes from parents and relatives, but you don't try to tell them what, they just choose themselves what to get. After all, it's nice of them to get you anything at all. It would be silly to go around asking.

Of course, sometimes parents ask you. If there's something cheap that you need, it's okay to tell them. Like, for example, I'm a guitarist, and sometimes I need inexpensive stuff like picks or strings or something. If parents ask, something simple like that that is useful, is not a bad thing to ask for when asked.

Sometimes my grandparents on my dad's side ask what I want. I don't answer them, but usually my dad tells them something that he wants that he thinks he can convince them that I want, and they get it. Grandparents are usually rich anyway, after all. Plus it's always something that I can use.

LeeAnna said...

Yes,
BUT other's may expect these things. Besides, I hate the feel of being obligated to give someone something. It should be freely, at any time. I just think that life would be easier if we give every day and not just on Christmas. It's more exciting for the receiver too. It's the fact that you know you will get something that bugs me. (I like getting things out of the blue!) It sucks the whole idea out of giving. THE OBLIGATION!

Yes, my grandparents are quite loaded. I remember seeing our presents pile to the ceiling and poor out of the living room.
Scary.

Well, I think I shall go to bed now.

NIGHT!

Lanna

Austin said...

I agree with you, Lanna.

LeeAnna said...

thank you.
I think that Christmas should be everyday-

Lanna